CALL FOR ARTIST
Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m. May 21st, 2017
For questions, send e-mail to West31stStreetMurals@gmail.com
Overview: We have partnered with the Downtown Bryan Association to launch the West 31st Murals project. The West 31st Street Murals will use visual arts to celebrate our city’s rich history. The initiative includes installing up to five murals along the Conlee-Garrett Moving and Storage building that faces West 31st Street.
Through the murals, we aim to engage the creative sector to capture the spirit of our city. We will use the murals to further the mission of the Downtown Bryan Association to create, cultivate, and showcase the commerce, culture, and community of our Downtown District by preserving the past and building a vibrant future.
The Location: The murals will be installed on the north facing wall of Conlee-Garrett Moving and Storage located at 600 S. Bryan, St. A natural canvas with its divided concrete wall panels, it will host up to 5 murals. Each artist’s mural will span two wall panel sections for a size up to approximately 25’ long and 18’ tall.
Mural Theme: Celebrate the city’s past or present showcasing commerce, culture, and community.
• April 5, 2017 – May 21, 2017: Call for Artist
• May 21, 2017 – Artists submissions due
• May 30, 2017 – Up to five artists chosen
• June 7, 2017 – Artist will be matched with wall sections
• June-August 2017 – Painting takes place
• First Friday of September – A celebration introducing the finished murals to the community.
Call For Mural Artist: Mural artists are invited to submit an application to create and paint one mural. Each artist must complete an application and submit an exact sketch of the mural to be painted, an explanation of how the mural exemplifies the Mural Theme and up to 3 past work samples representative of the artist’s talent and style.
All mural artists are invited to apply, regardless of geographic location. Special consideration will be given to people who live or work in Bryan or those with a past or current connection to Bryan.
Submission Instructions: Complete online application Submissions are due by May 21, 2017, 11:59 p.m. Submit a separate form for each entry. You may submit up to three entries.
• Experience installing large scale murals
• A connection to Bryan, TX
• Artwork represents the theme
• Ability to complete the mural by the end of August
• Previous experience and quality of work
• Artist’s connection to Bryan
The unveiling will occur with a community wide celebration ideally in conjunction with September’s First Friday.
For questions, please send an email to West31stStreetMurals@gmail.com